We did the final repairs and preseason checks on both drills, and are now ready to hit the field. It is still early, but we will hit the fields tomorrow to make sure everything is working properly and check over our monitors and timings, and that all is functioning as it should. There are always a few things that need final adjustments, so we will get that out of the way with a “soft start”. By Monday we hope to get both drills going full out and double shifting.
Today we started preseed burnoff on the fields that we will be planting yet this week and over the weekend. Not too much growth, but we are using a residual product that will control flushes of broadleaves in our cereals so we can delay crop spraying until a week or two later than you would otherwise have to.
Most of our canola seed is now in place, as well as our glyphosate and other preseason products. We had filled our big fuel tank up last fall already – thankfully – as diesel prices have risen 20-25% since. We also filled our fertilizer bins up last summer – which has risen in price by close to double!
It’s amazing how dry it is out there, areas that normally have water laying even up to late fall, are dry already. This will make for an efficient seeding season but will be looking for some follow-up rainfall later this month to keep the crop growing. We won’t have much for subsoil moisture to rely upon this season.